Boy, 3, burned by exploding e-cigarette
Updated On: Sep 23 2013 11:09:52 AM EDT
Mount Pleasant, Utah (KSTU) -- A mother claims an exploding e-cigarette set her son's car seat on fire, causing first- and second-degree burns to the 3-year-old's body.
"Seeing your child on fire and hearing them scream 'Help me!' is pretty terrifying," Kinzie Barlow told Salt Lake City TV station KSTU.
Barlow was driving in Provo with her son, Khonor, on Friday when she noticed a strange smell.
"Then there was a big bang, and kind of a flash, and there's smoke everywhere," she said.
Barlow said her e-cigarette had exploded in its charger, shooting out a white-hot copper coil that bounced off the ceiling and landed in her son's car seat. She says the coil had burned through the fabric cover and melted the hard plastic, sending flames shooting up the little boy's body.
"He was screaming and saying, 'Mom, get me! Get me!," Barlow told KSTU.
She tried smothering the fire with her shirt sleeve, but that also caught fire, so she grabbed an iced coffee from the front seat and poured it on Khonor, dousing the flames.
Provo Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield said he has no doubt Barlow's White Rhino e-cigarette exploded, saying it's the second such incident in Provo.
He planned to call the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Monday.
As for Barlow, she told KSTU she will never buy another e-cigarette again.