8-year-old girl playing with lighter sparks Daytona Beach house fire
Updated On: Jan 31 2013 12:39:43 PM EST
An 8-year-old girl is being blamed for a house fire in Daytona Beach, authorities told Local 6.
Firefighters were called to the 900 block of Berkshire Road in Daytona Beach just before midnight Wednesday for a reported structure fire.
When firefighters arrived to the single-story home, there were flames visible from a front bedroom window, officials said.
During the investigation, fire crews learned that an 8-year-old girl was in the bedroom playing with a lighter when the mattress began to smoke and eventually catch on fire, according to fire officials.
The girl left the room and told her grandparents the room was on fire and they were all able to get out of the home safely, firefighters said.
An elderly man, who was in the home at the time of the fire, was treated for smoke inhalation and breathing difficulties.
The blaze caused about $20,000 worth of damages and there were no other injuries reported.
Local 6 spoke to one of the neighbors who helped save the family. She says she hopes the girl doesn't feel it's all her fault.
"I hope she doesn't feel like its all her fault cause you know kids are kids," said Stephanie Pinkney.
Daytona Beach police say the family is also responsible for the fire after leaving smoking paraphernalia out in reach of the elementary school student.
Pinkney described the fire igniting saying her "first reaction is to bust the window out and get some water in there."
Police say it looks like the damage is going to cost the family about $20,000, family members tell Local 6 that they are just grateful to be alive.
Watch Local 6 and stay with ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.