Blind woman rescued from fire in Orlando apartment
Updated On: Feb 18 2013 11:56:06 AM EST
A blind woman was rescued from a fire at an Orlando apartment complex early Saturday morning.
The Orlando Police Department reports Miyra Hampton, 38, was found naked next to a burning mattress at Summer Gates Apartments in Orlando off Cypress Woods Drive. Hampton, who is blind and suffers from other medical problems, didn't initially respond to commands and was unable to understand the severity of the situation.
The fire started at 3:25 a.m. and several Orlando fire engines responded to the scene, and put out the fire. Hampton later stated that she was smoking a cigarette and thought it was out.
Alma Blinkley, 78, the woman's grandmother, was also rescued from the apartment fire.