Casselberry salon shooting victim speaks
For the first time after surviving a gruesome scene inside a Casselberry hair salon where a gunman killed three women, the shooter's intended target has broken her silence.
Marcia Santiago just got out of the hospital recently after spending three months recovering from her injuries. She gave her first interview Friday in Spanish to Univision.
At times during the interview, she was seen struggling to speak as the camera pans to reveal many of the scars left behind by the attack.
Santiago said she remembers a lot of details about that October day when her ex-boyfriend, Bradford Baumet, 33, went inside the salon and opened fire. She said she remembers seeing a gun, then Baumet started shooting, and told everyone inside it was quote "her fault."
She then said that after shooting her once, Baumet stood over her body to check if she was alive before saying "suffer like I suffered."
Then, Baumet left the salon, went to a friend's home in Winter Park and killed himself.
Santiago told Univision that she knew she was the person was supposed to die that day, but said she's alive today because that's the way God wanted it.
Santiago said that Baumet had been abusive and did threaten to kill her in the past, but she never thought he would carry out any of those threats. He had been due in court that same day for a hearing on a domestic violence injunction Santiago had filed against him.
Her recovery continues.