The family of a Florida teen who was fatally shot after an encounter with a neighborhood watch leader in Sanford officially filed a public records lawsuit on Friday in an effort to get more answers about how the 17-year-old died.
The family is asking for an emergency hearing Friday for the court to discuss the matter.
Family members say Trayvon Martin, of Miami, was visiting his father and stepmother last month at their home in the Orlando suburb.
"He was really inspiration to me, he was my hero," Tracy Martin said.
Martin had gone to a store and was returning to their home when he was confronted by an armed neighborhood watch representative. Just moments earlier, the representative, George Zimmerman, had called 911 to make a suspicious person report.
He hasn't been charged with a crime. Police said there is some evidence to support Zimmerman's claim of self-defense. The officer who reported to the scene said the Zimmerman had a busted lip when they arrived. He had a concealed weapon permit so it wasn't illegal for him to be carrying a gun.
Zimmerman was previously arrested and charged with resisting officer with violence and battery on a law enforcement officer, records show. The charges were later dropped.
Martin's family said police told them Zimmerman had no previous arrests and are seeking more answers into Martin's death.
It's unclear what prompted the shooting.
Martin's family members say the 911 calls could shed some light on how events escalated, but police haven't released them.
"To have his life taken away from him by this guy and nothing is being done about it-we just don't understand," Tracy Martin said.
Sanford police is still investigating and plan to turn evidence over to State Attorney's office next week, which will determine if charges will be filed.
Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.