George Zimmerman to remain on GPS monitoring

Published On: Dec 11 2012 07:36:08 AM EST
Updated On: Dec 11 2012 06:00:16 PM EST

A judge rules that George Zimmerman, who's charged with murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, must remain on GPS monitoring and ...

SANFORD, Fla. -

A judge ruled that George Zimmerman, who's charged with murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, must remain on GPS monitoring and cannot leave Seminole County.

[COMPLETE COVERAGE: Pics from courtroom | Read Louis Bolden's tweets below]

Judge Debra Nelson heard several motions in the case on Tuesday, and Zimmerman appeared at the hearing wearing a suit coat and tie while sitting next to his lead attorney, former Local 6 legal analyst Mark O'Mara.

Besides dropping the monitoring, the defense wanted Zimmerman to be able to live outside Seminole County.

"We've had no compliance issues with Mr. Zimmerman since he's been re-released," said Adam Vincent, Zimmerman's probation officer.

O'Mara said it's been frustrating for Zimmerman not to be able to leave the county as part of his bond condition.  O'Mara said Zimmerman was not a threat to flee.

"I think that he has shown himself where he should be  allowed to be free and not be on GPS," O'Mara said.

O'Mara said threats to Zimmerman increased last week as more information in the case was released. He also said Zimmerman would be safer if he could leave the county.

"The way this case was handled turned it into a fireball of frustrations for the entire nation," O'Mara said.

The state, however, reminded Nelson that Zimmerman previously lied to the court -- when another judge was overseeing the case -- about his ability to post bond.

"He can't have it both ways," argued prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda, saying Zimmerman can't seek publicity, such as offering autographs for money, while claiming that he's at risk because of the public nature of the case.

"Why are we here really for this motion, is it more for publicity?" De la Rionda said. "Maybe it's for autographs maybe now the defendant wants to get more autographs."

Zimmerman's attorneys also sought copies of FBI communications with local investigators.

The next hearing in the case is set for early January.

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the 17-year-old Martin's shooting following an altercation in Sanford in February.

He has pleaded not guilty, claiming self-defense under Florida's "stand your ground" law.

Last week, the state released more information in the case, including aphoto showing Zimmerman with a bloody, swollen nose.

Nelson has set a trial date for June 10 and a "stand your ground" hearing for 45 days before trial.

Zimmerman's wife, Shellie, who was charged with perjury after allegedly lying to a judge during a bond hearing for her husband, could find out her trial date on Wednesday.

Stay with ClickOrlando.com and watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of clickorlando.com, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus