Osteen Elementary students ingesting substance leads to hazmat situation
Updated On: Feb 01 2013 05:50:58 PM EST
Seven students at a Volusia County elementary school ingested an unknown substance they thought was candy, leading to a hazmat situation, according to officials.
Volusia County authorities were called around 1 p.m. Friday to Osteen Elementary School on Doyle Road.
According to Volusia County School spokeswoman Nancy Wait, an 11-year-old boy found a round object in a plastic bag that looked similar to a Smarties candy piece. The boy stomped on the object, creating a powder and inhaled it, according to Wait, who added that six other fourth-grade students then did the same thing.
Wait said the pill or object has tested negative for narcotics, and none of the students was showing signs of being ill. The students, whose parents were called to the school, were not taken to a hospital.
"A student was brought to the office by a teacher and there was a bag, deputies and hazmat crews determined it was sugar ," said Osteen Principal Bob Oulleiite.
Videos on YouTube show children of all ages snorting Smarties, prompting Local 6 to ask if this was the reason why the students ingested what they thought was candy.
When asked if he knew of the trend, Oulleiite replied, "Not that I'm aware of, this is the first time we even had to deal with this, I can't speak for the other schools."
Doctors say inhaling sugar could go down the wrong tube, or get stuck in your nose, leading to an infection.
Students were released around 2:05 p.m. and the school was not evacuated during the incident.
Oulleiite said he will be considering an appropriate punishment for the children, possibly leading to launching a drug awareness program.
"Clearly those kids were experimenting, we have a lot of questions, we're going to talk and evaluate what we do," he said.
No other details were immediately available.
Watch Local 6 News and stay with ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.