Threat interrupts FCAT at Brevard County high school

Published On: Apr 15 2014 10:25:16 AM EDT
Updated On: Apr 15 2014 06:45:12 PM EDT

Melbourne High is evacuated over a bomb threat, but the all-clear has been given.

MELBOURNE, Fla. -

Melbourne High was evacuated Tuesday morning because of a bomb threat, but classes later resumed.

Brevard County Public School officials said the school was evacuated just after 9:30 a.m. as a precaution based on the threat.  Police said they received a call 30 minutes earlier that a bomb had been placed on school property.

Some students were moved to the football field while others were relocated to the gym.

Melbourne police searched the school and nothing was found. 

"Administration worked with food services to ensure that staff and students had water available to them during the evacuation," according to Brevard school officials.  "At approximately 12:15 p.m., authorities issued an all clear, allowing students and staff to return to normal school activities."

Officials said they were also working with the Florida Department of Education regarding the FCAT, which has been moved to Wednesday at the school.

No other details were immediately available.

And investigation is ongoing.

Melbourne police initially told Local 6 that school was closed for the day after the evacuation.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of clickorlando.com, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus