Bridge fishing ban enacted as protection after 2 deaths
Updated On: Jun 24 2014 11:30:32 AM EDT
The Florida Department of Transportation has banned fishing from the north side of a popular bridge in Brevard County, according to Local 6 partner Florida Today.
This new policy comes after two men were struck and killed by a distracted driver while fishing on a relief bridge east of the Eau Gallie Causeway in April 2013.
Justin Mitchell and Garrett Viccaro, both in their mid-20s, were victims in this accident. Their mothers have been active in getting the state to make safety improvements to the bridge.
Signs have been installed that read "No Fishing From Bridge." FDOT will review their impact, saying they'll stay up for now but could only be temporary.
Despite the signs, there are still fishermen hugging the north barrier. Melbourne police have been checking the area, according to police spokesman Sgt. Sheridan Shelley, who said Friday no tickets had been issued. Fishing from the north side is punishable by a $67 fine.
Fishing from the south side of the bridge is still allowed because there is a concrete barrier between drivers and pedestrians.
"If it saves one person's life, what a blessing," Trisha Viccario, mother of Garrett Viccario, said.