Smoke alarm saved lives of Deltona couple, fire official says

Published On: Jan 17 2014 06:06:12 AM EST
Updated On: Jan 17 2014 06:55:10 AM EST

A Deltona couple awakened by a smoke alarm manages to escape a house fire.

DELTONA, Fla. -

Fire officials say a smoke alarm saved the life of a couple whose Deltona home caught fire early Friday morning while they were sleeping.

The blaze broke out around 2:30 a.m. at a home in the 1900 block of Greenview Drive, just east of Interstate 4.

John Mosso and his wife got out of their house safely -- and just in time.

"That smoke detector saved their lives," acting Deltona Fire Chief Robert Rogers said.  "If that hadn't have gone off, another couple minutes of (enduring) that smoke in the house would have overcome them."

Mosso said he awakened to find the house filled with smoke.

"We got up, we opened up the bedroom door.  All of a sudden, I couldn't see toward the opposite side of the house, so I ran back, got my glasses and put them on and I still can't see," Mosso said.

Mosso said he walked down the hallway and exited the house with his wife.

"I could feel the heat -- something critical," Mosso said.

Fire officials said preliminary information shows that an electrical issued sparked the blaze in a front bedroom that was converted into an office.  The room sustained major damage.

No injuries were reported.

No other details were released.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of clickorlando.com, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus