Face-chewing victim continues recovery in Florida

Published On: May 21 2013 06:15:16 AM EDT
Updated On: May 21 2013 01:53:46 PM EDT
Ronald Poppo

Ronald Poppo.

MIAMI -

A homeless man whose face was mostly chewed off in a bizarre attack last year in Miami says he doesn't want any more reconstructive surgery.

Ronald Poppo spent nearly a month in a hospital after the attack alongside a Miami highway. Since then, he's been living in a long-term care facility.

The attack left him blind and disfigured. Poppo's doctors said Tuesday he knows he's lost his nose and his left eye completely, but he's satisfied with the surgeries and skin grafts that have closed his wounds.

A video posted online by the hospital that has been caring for Poppo shows him sitting in a hospital bed, wearing a baseball cap and strumming a guitar, which he's learned to play and practices daily.

Facing the camera, Poppo, who was wearing a Miami Heat hat, thanks the public for their contributions and support.

"People in my predicament need to be helped out," he said. "I thank the outpouring from people in the community. I'll always be thankful for that."

Rudy Eugene attacked Poppo on May 26, 2012, along the MacArthur Causeway in Miami, police said.  An officer shot and killed Eugene.  In a report on the investigation, Poppo told police that Eugene accused him of taking his Bible.

Lab tests found only marijuana in Eugene's system.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of clickorlando.com, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus