Family demanding charges against former DeLand officer who ran over, killed man

Published On: Dec 24 2013 02:42:01 AM EST   Updated On: Aug 09 2013 08:44:53 PM EDT

More than 90 days after he was run over and killed by a DeLand police officer, the family of Marlin Brown is demanding to know why that officer is not facing any charges.

DELAND, Fla. -

More than three months after he was run over and killed by a DeLand Police officer, the family of Marlon Brown is demanding to know why that officer is not facing charges.

[RELATED: Fatal police crash report sent to state | Still no answers, peace for Brown's family]

Krystal Brown told Local 6 she's been avoiding the empty lot behind 901 South Delaware Avenue.

"It just kind of brings back the reality of that night, the thoughts of him being under the police car," Brown said.

The father of Krystal's children, 38-year-old Marlon Brown, was killed after being run over by a DeLand Police Officer.

Krystal said the hardest part is waiting for answers.

"Why does it take an additional how many months to be able to tell the public, tell the family, to tell his children what's going to happen," Krystal said.

Since the crash, Officer James Harris was fired and on July 11, the Florida Highway Patrol handed over dashcam video, radio transmissions, all evidence and the findings of their investigation to the State Attorney's Office.

Chief of Operations David Smith was not in his office when Local 6 visited on Friday.

Several weeks ago, Smith said the investigation was being looked at by the assistant state attorney in St. Augustine, Jason Lewis, that Lewis was still waiting on reports.

Krystal Brown said she is being told the same thing.

"One of the things that we still don't have is the autopsy report, the cause of death, three months later?" she said.

According to Florida Highway Patrol, their investigation did not recommend criminal charges against Harris. They said that's a decision to be made by the State Attorney's Office.

"We're demanding a charge. We will take nothing less than a charge," said Krystal Brown.

For now, she said all she and her family can do is wait.

"We have no choice but to accept, you know, accept it and move forward, stay strong, do what we can so his death will not be in vain," Krystal said.

Messages left with Smith and Lewis were not returned on Friday.


The views expressed are not those of, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus