Faulty electricity outlet starts house fire

Published On: May 11 2014 10:31:06 AM EDT
Updated On: May 11 2014 04:58:23 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -

Daytona Beach Fire Department put out a fire that started in an electrical outlet Saturday evening.

Firefighters said they were called to a home on Continental Drive around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

Firefighters said a resident in the home was charging a cellphone in the outlet when the fire started.

When fire crews arrived on scene, there was heavy black smoke and flames coming from the home, officials said.

Firefighters were able to attack the fire aggressively and confine the fire to the area around the outlet.

Due to the heavy smoke damage and the possibility that the fire was from a faulty electrical outlet,  Florida Power and Light disconnected the power to the home, officials said.

The family was unable to stay in the home and received  assistance from the American Red Cross. Officials believe the home sustained about $30,000.00 worth of damage.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of clickorlando.com, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus