Laundromat fire sparked by spontaneous combustion, officials say

By Ashley Annin, ClickOrlando.com staff
Published On: Feb 27 2014 10:34:12 AM EST
Updated On: Feb 27 2014 11:05:58 AM EST

Ocala Fire Rescue

Twenty-one firefighters responded to what turned out to be a spontaneous combustion at a laundry facility.

OCALA, Fla. -

A fire broke out early Thursday morning at a laundry facility in downtown Ocala, and firefighters say the cause of the blaze was spontaneous combustion.

Around 2 a.m., firefighters responded to UniFirst, an industrial laundry facility. According to a news release from Ocala Fire Rescue, the fire was a result of spontaneous combustion and began at a bin of mop heads.  No further explanation was provided.

The building sustained $1,000 in damage, and only a small portion of the contents were affected by the fire. Ocala Fire Rescue said that minimum damage occurred thanks to the facility’s sprinkler system and quick response time from firefighters.

The building was empty at the time the fire broke out; the last employee at UniFirst left at 9 p.m. Tuesday.

The business was expected to reopen Friday.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of clickorlando.com, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus