Man siphoning gas in Palm Bay burned in explosion

Published On: Jun 09 2013 09:35:34 PM EDT
Updated On: Jun 10 2013 07:20:12 AM EDT

Florida Today

A man is badly burned in an explosion in Palm Bay

PALM BAY, Fla. -

A man was burned on more than 60 percent of his body Sunday night when his fume-filled garage exploded so violently his neighbors said it sounded like “a train wreck” or “a car accident.”

The explosion occurred just after 7:15 p.m. in the 1300 block of Southeast Waffle Street, rattling residents of the residential lane off San Filippo Drive.

“A witness reported seeing his neighbor on fire and running out of the house,” said Yvonne Martinez, Palm Bay police spokeswoman told Local 6 News partner Florida Today.  “Family members of the man immediately fled the home and took the victim to the hospital."

The victim was later airlifted to an Orlando burn center, she said.

Three other people were inside the home when the garage blew up, Martinez said. Damages were estimated at about $20,000.

“Fire investigators learned the victim was siphoning fuel out of a vehicle with a ‘shop-vac.’ The closed garage filled with vapor, and it’s believed a spark from the vacuum ignited,” Martinez said.

She did not have information on the victim’s identity or medical condition late Sunday.

Courtney Laliberte, 18, heard the explosion and tried to grab a garden hose.

“I ran around the side of my house, and I just see the whole garage on fire, the car and everything. It was crazy,” Laliberte said.

Another neighbor, George Xenakis, was tending his garden in his back yard and ran to help.

“It sounded like a train crash,” he said.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of clickorlando.com, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus