Propane leak evacuates Orlando homes, leads to rescue of baby squirrel
Updated On: Jul 12 2013 04:45:59 PM EDT
About 20 homes were evacuated Friday after a propane gas leak was discovered nearby, and a baby squirrel was rescued in the process.
Orange County Fire Rescue officials said they received a call at about 12:03 p.m. from a propane truck driver whose truck was leaking on Mosher Drive in Fairview Shores.
When crews arrived on the scene, they discovered about 200 gallons of gas had escaped from the 1,400-gallon tank.
A hazardous materials team was called to the scene, and residents were allowed to return to their homes several hours later after crews secured the leak.
While responding to the call, firefighters found a baby squirrel that had fallen from a tree and landed at the scene. The squirrel was assessed for injuries and wrapped in a stretcher sheet before a nearby citizen volunteered to take it to a veterinarian for further treatment.