Shands closes burn unit after bacterial infection

Published On: Jul 30 2013 03:24:03 PM EDT

Officials at Shands Hospital in Gainesville have closed the burn unit after they say a bacterial outbreak infected eight patients.

Dr. Timothy Flynn said one patient has been placed in an isolation unit. Hospital officials would not say whether any patients have died as a result of the outbreak.

The acinetobacter baumannii bacteria can cause fatal infections for vulnerable patients including burn victim because their immune systems are compromised.

Hospital officials said they had already planned to close the burn unit for renovations prior to the outbreak.

The hospital is still taking burn patients. One of the victims injured in a massive explosion at a gas plant in Tavarres on Monday was taken to Shands.

The Ocala Star-Banner reports the hospital's infection control department is checking for contamination in other areas of the hospital.


The views expressed are not those of, WKMG or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum (Please note the 'Flag' button). By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms Of service
blog comments powered by Disqus